Markus Molitor was just 20 years old in 1984 when he took control of his father's winery. Even at such a young age he had a clear vision of what he wanted to accomplish. His ultimate goal was to produce Rieslings from Germany's famed Mosel region in the family tradition of eight generations before him with a strong dedication to making quality-driven, terroir-specific wines that would be unmistakably characteristic of this unique area.
Markus' guidelines have never changed and remain as uncompromising devotion to quality in the vineyard and cellar, together with an absolute respect for nature. His intent is that each vineyard and vintage should express itself in the taste of every single wine.
Markus began with just 1.5 hectares of vineyards in 1984. Over the past 35 years his holdings have grown to 120 hectares and Markus Molitor is now the largest privately-owned winery, family-run vineyard in the Mosel region. 75% of his vineyards are located in Grand-Cru sites along the Middle Mosel river and 25% are located in the Sarre river region.
All of the vinyeards are located on steep slopes and many of them are planted with old vines (some of the ungrafted vines are 100 years old). Due to the steepness and age of the vineyards, almost all of the work must be done by hand, guaranteeing the utmost quality in the selection process.
Organic and sustainable viticulture practices are used in all of Markus Molitor's vineyards.
- Riesling Brut Sparkling
- Haus Klosterberg Riesling
- Wehlener Klosterberg Riesling Kabinett
- Alte Reben Riesling Mosel
- Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Spätlese
- Kinheimer Hubertuslay Riesling Auslese
- Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett
- Wehlener Klosterberg Riesling Spätlese
- Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese **
- Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett
- Erdener Treppchen Riesling Auslese ***
- Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Beerenauslese
Varietals planted :
Total acres planted :
296 acres (120 hectares)